14.2.10

Just Another Week

Nothing too exciting to report on this week in the training department. Swimming was a little down on volume as i canned one of my sessions I had planned for after a massage, just too flat actually went home and had a nap. Running was just a matter of one foot in front of the other I could feel the fatigue every time I pushed some intensity except for my run off of the bike on Saturday felt pretty strong for the 40 mins I pushed. Then to top things off ran for two hours in continuous wind and rain on the Sunday. On the other hand the bike came up well the long ride I was good all the way through except for a 10 minute section where I got a bit hungry. Then backed up well at the Club race on the Sunday having a red hot go before the hill to try to break away and if not just get out of the way of everybody else so they can have the sprint for the line (I'm more than happy just staying on two wheels when the fields are as big as what they are at the moment).

Swim 9 km Ride 370 km Run 54 km

On a personal note I had some mixed emotions about the weekend, this is the first time since I started triathlon I have not competed at Kingston, actually Kingston was my first Tri. Also this meant not having another crack at a age group State Championship as well which I've won the last 2 years in my relevant category. It kind of goes against another one of my beliefs too which is I like to support local events as much as possible but this year I've got a plan and my eyes are set on a bigger goal. I like to get my inspiration for this mindset from the current World Champ Craig Alexander, in his last two times at Kona (which he's won) there was minimal lead up races with just eyes on the prize mentality. So at the moment I'm following his lead, at the same scale just a different level.

Made another trip down to Beachport for a swim, not for me this time but for Bianca. She's doing the swim leg as a part of a team with her Dad at the inaugural Beachport triathlon in two weeks time. Wasn't really the best day for it very windy and rough but at least it shouldn't be close to that bad on the day of the event so she is prepared for the worst at the moment. To think three months ago she couldn't even put her head underwater and now is attempting open water swims. It's a credit to her swimming instructor/Italian teacher/drinking buddy Toni on how well Bianca is doing.

While still on the Beachport theme I will be racing there in two weeks in front of all my family and friends, will be looking forward to see if I still have some short course speed. I'll be coming off of a recovery week so I should be in good condition hoping to find a new max HR. This will be the lead up to the biggest and key few days in my prep so if anyone is free on the first Monday and Tuesday in March I could do with some company on the bike got a fair few K's to do and any help is appreciated.

Toby

No comments:

Post a Comment