28.2.10

1st Win for the Year

Firstly I'd like to say how good of a job Helen and Gabby did with the inaugural Beachport Triathlon. I know firsthand what this can be like and they did such a good job. Things ran so smoothly and relaxed from a competitors point of view. I also know that it probably didn't seem like this from the organisers side but it I can honestly say that if there was any chaos it was not noticed by the competitors.

The race started slowly for me as I knew all week in training it had taken me a good 30 mins before I got any good results. So knowing this I started out wide and cut in towards the first turn I also knew that there would be a lot of guys die in the first 30m and I didn't want to get caught amongst it. I think I was about 4th out of the water after a very average swim for me.
Once on the bike I caught the first two in front of me by about 2km, then caught and took the lead in about the 5km mark and continued to push the bike hard.
On the run I had a goal to push it as hard as I could, in reality this didn't happen somehow I got my innersoles of my shoes all tangled up and it felt like I was running with big rocks in my shoes, hope I didn't lose too much time as I really wanted to do well with the short burst of running.

I was really happy to come across the line in first place as I had lots of my family and friends there watching so it was a buzz for me and them the way the race panned out. Also good to have a win this year as I got a few age group wins last year but nothing this year as the focused has changed.

Also the other success of the day was TEAM GILLIN, Bianca and her Dad did a team entry in the race with Bianca completing the swim and Mick the bike and run. For all interested Bianca only learnt to swim 3 months ago and Mick's only recently hit the fitness regime a bit more seriously. The whole race went well for them with only a slight hiccup from the bike dismount, predicted 1 minute before it happened by Nostradamus Dion Gillin from the sidelines. Even though they didn't get a placing I'm sure they're hooked and we will all hear about it for a little while yet, but that whats Triathlon is all about nothing beats being able to push your limits.

Once again great job by the organisers, great course and great atmosphere can't wait for it to come around again. With some better weather the possibilities are endless for this event.

I'll update about my training in a couple of days as it's been spread over a bit more than a week at the moment with all I got going on. In the middle of a big 3 days right now so will fill you in soon. Training like a pro at the moment (have taken a couple of days off work to get it all in).


Toby

1 comment: