4.3.10

Runaway Train

Well its all done, now the efforts are in the bank and it's time to start the recovery.

It all started Sunday with one of the key sessions which included 160km ride followed by a 90min brick run (straight off of the bike). Sunday's ride also included my last Summer Series road race for the year, I was very pleased with the race it was the first race for the year where I was actually fresh due to just the race and a longer open water swim on the Saturday. Was good to see what I could do on a short taper, then to top off a great days training the run went really well then pulled up great ready to smash it out again on the Monday.

Monday included the standard swim set followed by another 150kmon the bike. Luckily Ben joined me for some of the bike helped me keep the pace high considering the conditions. For the time we where out on the bike the wind gusts stayed between 55-60kmh. Tough day out on the bike but I was still recovering really well after each of these days this kept me feeling confident that I've done the correct amount of work.

Tuesday was going to be a day of epic proportions but not so much on the training front. I'd organised Bianca to meet me in Millicent with some running gear so I could get a run in before heading off to Adelaide for ACDC. Helped with our time management a bit by riding a bit of the way we had to travel. So Tuesday was 120km bike with just a 30 min run to follow. Nothing beats getting up at 5am and not getting back into bed until 1am it was all worth it just to see Angus. He was definitely the star of the show but I reckon my fitness got put back about two weeks from all the passive smoking, what else could you expect from an ACDC crowd though.

Mick, Dion, myself and Bianca at ACDC
(Note I am drinking 2 beers at once - go me - one is Bianca's...)

The rest of the week just saw a 4.3km swim session (great feeling looking at the swim program and it says "70min straight swim" - mind numbing) then Thursday I followed it up with a 3hr run.

After the 3 hour run - end of big week

My fur kid Sebastian making sure I am okay while passed out on the front lawn after said run

So as you can see all the work has been done. I'm feeling like I've got the volumes and intensities just right, I'm recovering well and staying strong through each session. Really looking forward to having a few days recovery style training before the maintenance and maybe a little speed training (don't really know if the speed will help me too much on the day but will keep the interest up for the last two weeks).

Also getting the design sorted this week for the official "How is Toby going?" supporters shirt. So if anyone keen to get their hands on these limited edition collectors item, just post a comment (race day family cheer squad, sponsors and Spek are already on the list). I'm sure they will also look good given the person in charge of the design talent in this area.

Cheers
Toby

4 comments:

  1. Hey Tobes!

    I've said it a few times on here but you are a machine mate! Thanks again for the ride on Monday and hope we can get out again after IM.

    I've just got out of the pool and am pleased to say I can now stay afloat long enough to swim a few hundred metres... it's not pretty but its a start! At this pace, I reckon Ill be hitting my straps by February 2011 in time for Kingston! *hahaha*

    If I don't see you before the race, good luck and I hope you smash the sub-10hrs!

    Cheers
    Ben

    P.S. Ill grab one of those t-shirts! I don't own a genuine Gillin artwork as yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toby,

    Count me in for a tee shirt please!!!
    You sound pumped to the max. Can't wait to have the tee shirt on IM Day and watch the telecast-internet or otherwise!!! let me know if it is to be televised and what time it all kick's off on the big day!!!
    Go Team Toby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow only 15 days to go! So exciting. I can't believe you still look that good after a three hour run- you should have seen me after my half marathon- I just died, now you have set a standard and we all want to see you still looking chirpy at the end of the Iron man- plus you need to break the 10 hour mark!
    Good luck with it all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure when you're heading off Toby and I wanted to make sure I posted on time. As you said, you've done the hard training, I hope it all works for you on the day. Should I say 'enjoy it'? Just a bit hard to imagine. You've remained very positive throughout your training, so I'm sure you will do well. Looking forward to the post IM report. Dean.

    ReplyDelete