17.1.10

Big Weekend

Well I survived my biggest training weekend ever and to tell the truth feeling a little shattered but not too bad.

It all started Saturday at 5:55am when I started out on a 6hr or 180km ride which ever came first, luckily for me the 180 came before the 6hr (177.6 run out of drink and didn't think it a good idea to get any more dehydrated than what I was, considering I wanted to run afterwards). Then had a 20 min rest and a refuel before a brisk 35min run just to top the day off.

Sunday I treated myself to a sleep in until 7:30 before heading out to the come'n'try race put on by the club to give new comers to cycling a taste of racing. They got a good taste of what a head wind is for the way home anyway.
The next part of the day was filled with 160mins of long running. About an hour into the run I was feeling great. Thinking about what I was going to put in this post about how relatively easy this weekend been considering the workload and how much further in front I'll be once I come out the other side of my up coming recovery week. But then about 90 mins in I hit a slight wall not too bad but a notable change in effort required to keep moving forward. Got through this little bump and didn't have another bad patch up until 10 mins out from the end.
Like I said earlier on in this blog I'm always looking for a chance to get some extra K's in the pool so after I'd recovered a bit from the run got a quick 1500m in just to give the weekly tally a bit of a boost.

Week Totals - Swim 11.7km Ride 422km Run 60km
You might think this is quite hefty considering it's just my second week in but I've got a big base foundation of training to call on before I started this. Also I need to get a lot of work done now because I know I've got some possible lean weeks towards the end of the prep.

Not only was it a big weekend training wise, it was a big weekend at our house. Bianca woke up Saturday morning with the urge to paint the bathroom, toilet and laundry. Which is fine but she also wanted some pictures hung and the bathroom accessories we bought months ago and have just been hiding in the spare room installed. It took me about an hour of sitting and recovering just to get some energy up to complete my part of these tasks and to Bianca's credit she didn't put the pressure on too much and just let me get them done in my own time.

So when I look back at the last week and especially now as I look back at the weekend and all that has been and done it's not a wonder I feel a little tired (amplified by the fact it was all done while working midnight starts at work). But overall I'm still not feeling as bad as what I thought I might be. Also super pumped about the recovery week and what I'll be like coming out the other side of it

Toby

5 comments:

  1. Toby, you are insane! Can't wait to see you in fine form at the Beachport Triathlon! And good to see that even though you're almost dead after all of this exercise, you can still help out around the house! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to write that it was from Simone :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey mate, 180kms on the bike then a run... you're nuts!

    One thing I was wondering about is your diet for the lead up. Pulling those huge figures training wise, your calorie intake must be massive to avoid losing muscle mass (im guessing anyway). If you get a spare 5 minutes in-between those crazy amounts of kilometres you are doing, could you maybe document a typical day food wise?

    Cheers mate, enjoying the updates!

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats huge mate! brilliant - well done - love it - love it - the mind challenges must be huge - feeling very inspired every time i read your blogs!!! on wards and upwards - keep them coming.

    yeah just for personal note - can you jot down what you are eating too - nothing like taking requests here - but from an informative and education point of view of this blog of yours - that would be very handy for my own personal development - my ultra mara in october sounds so pathetic in comparison!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ben and Sal
    Toby is going to do a post on what he eats so you can get a better idea. Basically it is a diet of lots of whole foods - pasta, rices, vegetables etc - limited processed foods apart from the daily ice-cream in cone with hundreds and thousands!

    ReplyDelete