31.1.10

Here we go again

The start of the week was as standard as they come, then throw in a club Criterium race and the first of the Summer Series road racing to finish things off.

With the criterium it was just a matter of staying on two wheels for me I was a bit apprehensive during the whole race I've come to far and got a long way to go to have it all come crashing down. This and apart from the fact I've got a long way to go yet with taking tight corners at speed.

During all my training sessions after Tuesday I definitely started to feel the effects of the recovery week. All my sessions I seem to have at least 5 secs of extra speed per Km or rep, this has got me feeling really good going into next Sunday's 70.3 race. Also had my best week ever in the pool hitting 13km for the week. Put the extra effort in here this week because I know I can bounce back from the pool sessions easier than any other discipline, something to think about for me with the up coming race.

Another learning point from the week came during my long run. At about the 2hr 10 mark I noticed my heart rate rise with no extra perceived effort, this tells me that I need something. So I downed some sports drink from my fuel belt and worked on getting my HR down so it could be absorbed quicker. Then in a few more minutes things where back to normal and I could go back the original pace. I'm happy that I had this experience because I'm 99.9% sure that something similar will happen on race day no matter how vigilant I am with my nutrition and I hope now I can recognise it and work through it. This all probably happened from what I did at about the half way mark of this session. I met up with Bianca and we got a couple of laps in together of the Blue Lake, then she decided that we needed to do the stairs. At this stage I should just quote someone

"Can I have Nutri-Grain with that?? Ironman Food. Just mix with Concrete and I might just harden up. I am getting soft ".

But I was happy to be out there running with Bianca, It's great to see her enjoying running again

Weekly totals - Swim 13km Ride 385km Run 57km

This week saw both entries for Geelong 70.3 and Ironman Australia close. With Geelong at 1149 and Ironman at 1308. Pretty sure that the Ironman will get bigger slightly once a few more people validate at Geelong as the site says that it lists validated entrants.

Toby

4 comments:

  1. C'mon Toby You are harder than most!! Nutrigrain or no Nutrigrain.
    Leave the concrete for we softies:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 days to Geelong! But who,s counting. Thanks for the new timing device. You are looking sooooo! good. Very interesting as a first timer watching the Tarpeena Gift. Crazy corners to negotiate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well i must remember to go a bit easier on you next time hey! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOOD LUCK @ Geelong Toby

    I'm Sure You Will Do Well!!

    ReplyDelete