10.1.10

The Nitty Gritty of the last few days

Since my last post I have just done a little bit, well probably a bit more than a little bit.

Last week saw me head into new territory, with higher load and intensity than I've ever attempted before but that’s what this whole thing is about. One of the most promising things to come out so far is the way my body is handling the extra workload the last few days of training I've felt the best I have for weeks. But I have been working hard on getting the most from my Monday and Friday recovery sessions so I can get more quality done in-between.

The key training sessions towards the end of the week included a brick session Wednesday, 160km ride Saturday, 2.5hr run Sunday (with the last hour of the run starting at 30 oC finishing at 35 0C) followed by a lovely open water swim in the arvo.
I usually don't worry about the brick sessions this early in the build up to an event but with Geelong 70.3 only 4 weeks away I need to make sure that the muscle memory is still firmly intact.
I was really impressed with my long ride this weeks, I hit the 100km mark and felt like I had just started and was fresh as a daisy. Such a good sign for me at this point of the prep, if I get my recovery spot on hopefully this sort of thing can carry on right through the lead up. Got a quick fire 5 km run in shortly after finishing the ride on Saturday and the legs felt fantastic from the start, had to hold myself back from hammering out some more k's I was feeling that good.
The long run was fine up until the last 45min it turned into a bit of a slog but had more to do with the temperature than anything else. People may call me extremely crazy (not just crazy) to head out in those conditions but I train to meet the demands of competition and I could quite possibly have to race in similar conditions as I had to at Shepp.
It was a great day for an open water swim, blue skies light winds and about 10 degrees cooler at the beach than home. Ended up doing around 45mins in the water a fantastic way to finish the weekend efforts.

Weekly approx totals (too hard to give exact numbers when swapping between bikes and haven't got the time to map each run)
Swim - 11km
Bike - 400km
Run - 57km

Also thank to Abi and Tiff of Blupod for there support, with Beachport holding there first triathlon later in the year and the finish line being right at the doorstep to the shop. Hopefully I can put in a good effort there.

Toby

5 comments:

  1. You're a machine mate... Keep it up! :)

    Cheers
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. watching you work! well done... you are very inspiring - i've only got a an itty bitty run coming up in may - but what an awesome achievement - love your goals! found this quote... "an athlete who tells you training is always easy and always fun - simply hasn't been there... goals can be elusive which makes the difficult journey all the more rewarding" - stay focused, you know you will be rewarded, and its what you learn along the way about yourself - we are all behind you! goooooo super coach.

    cheers
    sal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to watch your swim training Sun. You are looking so good.So good Blu Pod have come on board. This is such an exciting journey. My admiration for Bianca and her endless support. love mum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Toby,
    OMG!!! Ben is right you are a machine!!! And so positive about every aspect of the long grind! keep it up machine man!!! Tracking your journey is helping me to stay pumped up for my first crack at Geelong 70.3. I am learning so much from observing your training when I see you out there doing the hard miles on the bike or pounding the pavement- it easy to see by your strong and confident form that you mean business. You are certainly not dragging your feet!
    Keep up the awesome work.
    Pen

    ReplyDelete
  5. BH Toby (that's something like OMG). Thoroughly impressed with the effort so far. Sounds as though you know what you're doing. Keep it up.


    Dean.

    ReplyDelete